Gingival (Gum) Surgery Post Op Instructions
If you have just undergone gum surgery at 3Dental, please follow these instructions to ensure you heal correctly:
- No brushing on graft site for 2 weeks or unless advised otherwise but to be sure to keep the surrounding teeth and areas clean.
- No biting directly on graft site – chop food up and chew away from area. Best to stick to soft foods until the review appointment.
- No hot food or drinks for 24 hours as this will cause bleeding.
- Do not lift your lip up to look at the site for 2 weeks.
- Keep your tongue away from the site for 2 weeks as this may disrupt or dislodge any stitches.
- No smoking or drinking alcohol for 24 hours.
- No strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- No heavy rinsing for 2 weeks – put mouthwash in, swirl very gently around mouth and let the liquid fall out. No spitting!
- The day of surgery if you feel the need to rinse drink cold water only to refresh your mouth.
- Expect discomfort for at least a week until graft and harvest site begins to heal. This can be managed by regular pain killers that you are suitable to take.
- If you have been given antibiotics you must finish the course even if the pain and / or swelling has disappeared.