Instructions Following A Sinus Lift
You will be numb for 1-2 hours following the sinus lift procedure. During this period be careful not to bite your lip, or burn yourself with hot food or drinks.
After this numbness wears off expect some postoperative discomfort, which can last up to one week. This is best managed with Paracetamol or Ibuprofen, which are both available over-the-counter. It is safe to take these together if necessary.
You will get a little bleeding after surgery, this is normal. Occasionally you may even experience a nose bleed, or blood down the back of your throat for a few days. Your saliva will normally be blood streaked for 1-2 days afterwards.
However, if your mouth is filling up rapidly with blood, you should apply 30 minutes of constant finger pressure with a dampened handkerchief to the surgical site whilst sitting in an upright position. If the bleeding does not stop, contact the practice for further advice.
Post operative swelling is common. This can be reduced during the first 24 hours by applying an ice pack wrapped in a towel to the face on the side of surgery (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off).
Any swelling usually lasts approximately usually lasts approximately one week. The sutures are non-dissolving, and need to be removed after two weeks.
Some Do's and Don'ts
- Eat soft foods for the first week, and chew away from the area
- Brush the rest of your teeth as normal
- For the first 10 days use Corsodyl mouthwash three times per day. Each time you rinse, hold
10mls in your mouth for one minute. Do not use this on the day of surgery - start this the
- Expect some discomfort, swelling, and also bruising. The bruising can last up to two weeks in
- Finish the course of antibiotics
- Do not blow your nose for two weeks. This builds up pressure in the sinus and can disturb the
- Do not hold in sneezes for two weeks - allow them out of the mouth
- Smoke or drink alcohol
- Take physical exercise for 24 hours
- Rinse your mouth vigorously on the day of surgery
- Play with the wound
- Brush the teeth around the wound until instructed
- Lift your lip to look at the wound – this can disturb the site
- If dentures are sore to wear, then leave them out as much as possible
If you are concerned about any aspect of your treatment, please do not hesitate to call the practice.