We’re huge fans of porcelain veneers because they allow our patients to have the dream smile, they have always wanted. We often use veneers in combination with 6 month braces to create that Hollywood smile you hear so much about.
Dental Veneers at 3Dental
Porcelain veneers have become more popular in recent years because of the amount of celebrities getting them (Simon Cowell anyone!).
Also, with recent developments in dental technology and materials, we can now predictably show you what your smile will look like before you start treatment! This treatment is called Digital Smile Design.
This allows you to make any changes or suggestions and decide how your new teeth will look.
In this post we’re going to explore what makes porcelain veneers unique as well as looking at some of the details, benefits, costs and procedures involved with veneers. We’ll also show you some of our before and after photos :)
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are small layers of material (usually porcelain) that are fixed permanently to a broken, chipped, or otherwise damaged tooth.
Dr.Carmen Anastasiu explains what dental veneers are.
Composite Veneers vs Porcelain Veneers at 3Dental
Let's take a close look at the differences between composite veneers and porcelain veneers:
|Factor||Composite Veneers||Porcelain Veneers|
|Differences||Made from white fillings material and usually don’t require us to remove any tooth.||They usually require us to take a little amount of tooth surface away and are made of a porcelain type ceramic.|
|Pros & Cons||Usually require no tooth surface removal, but they can stain up particularly in smokers.||They look amazing, but they do require some minimal tooth surface removal.|
|Price Difference||Because they require less preparation of the tooth and less lab time, composite veneers usually cost less than porcelain veneers||Typically, a porcelain veneer cost €500-€600.|
Both systems work well and are suited to different patients. Your dentist will be more than happy to discuss which suits you best during your free consultation.
Do Porcelain Veneers Stain?
As with your natural teeth, all veneers stain. However, with good hygiene, the staining is minimal and easily removed.
How long do porcelain veneers last?
- Best case: Well looked after and maintained (20 years).
- Most common: Average life span is 10-15 years.
- Worst case: Poorly maintained and depending on habits such as grinding, nail biting (5 years).
- Other information: As with your natural teeth if you look after your veneers and attend for regular cleaning sessions with our hygienists. You should have no problem keeping your veneers looking clean and healthy long term.
How much do porcelain veneers cost?
Our price list range at 3Dental is €500-€600 per tooth. We are happy to discuss payment plans with you for treatments over €1,000. We can discuss direct debit payments spread out the cost over a period of up to one year.
With larger more expensive treatments we can offer Flexi-Fi payment plans to ease the cost burden.
Our treatment co-ordinators staff will be happy to discuss these options after your free consultation.
Porcelain Veneers vs Porcelain Crowns
- Differences: A crown covers the entire tooth which veneers cover the front of the tooth only.
- Pros and Cons: Crowns tend to be stronger and last longer. They require more tooth removal and compose a greater risk to the tooth nerve.
- Price Difference: As crowns are easier to prepare and fit, they usually cost a little less, typically €450-€500 per crown. Veneers cost €500-€600.
What Veneers & Crowns are used for
Crowns are used where teeth have been badly compromised by fillings, cracks or root canals. They cover the tooth and protect it long term.
Porcelain Veneers are used to cover the front of the teeth for aesthetic reasons. For example, crooked or dark teeth.
Porcelain Veneers Procedure
We have spent years working hard on our veneer procedure and bonding systems.
We have trained with top specialists around the world to give our patients the very best veneers possible. Currently, we follow Pascal Magne protocol for prepping and bonding veneers.
This protocol involves us first planning out the veneers using computer design and the lab fabrication of the end result.
These are then fitted over the patient’s teeth so we can then see the final look. Only then are the teeth prepped (This is kept to the absolute minimum) the lab will then make the veneers in house and the patient will return to fit and bond the veneers.
In the interim temporary veneers are worn over the teeth.
The system allows the patient and dentist total control over the end result encouraging the patient to have a say in how the final result will look.
Check out our smile gallery to see a full range of our before and after pictures.
- Having our own lab allows us better control over quality and choice of material
- If you are unlucky enough to chip or damage a veneer, we can replace it the same day
- We can involve our highly experienced technicians at the design stage allowing us to get the best results for our patients
So why not get in touch today and book in for your free consultation!